Kindergarten Registration - April, 16, 2015
All school divisions allow you to bring your child with you to registration, but some school divisions require you to bring your child as they may administer a readiness assessment of basic skills which takes about 15 minutes. School divisions that require you to bring your child with you are: Chesterfield, Goochland, Hopewell, King William, New Kent, Powhatan, Prince George, and Sussex.
Frequently Asked Questions about Kindergarten Registration
- Where do I register for kindergarten? Register at the elementary school your child will attend. Websites and phone numbers are above for each school district that you can call to find out which school your child will attend.
- Is kindergarten a full day program? Yes
- What if my child is already enrolled in public preschool - like Head Start or VPI? Yes, you still have to register at the elementary school where your child will attend kindergarten. Even if they attend preschool at that same school.
- What if I can't come on April 16? If it is not possible to register on April 16, parents should call the school to set up an appointment as soon as possible.
- What if I need help getting all of the paperwork together? Speak to your school first, then call "211" for additional community resources. "211" is an abbreviated dialing code for free access to health and human services information and referral and is available to everyone needing help, especially in times of crisis.