Jamie Thomson, from MassMutual Financial Group, answers your questions and discusses why she chooses to LIVE UNITED.
- Question: What made you want to become involved with United Way and, more specifically, Young Leaders Society? How long have you been a member?
Samantha Thurman actually reached out to me right before the inception of YLS and it sounded like it would align very closely with what I was trying to do both professionally and personally. So far, I’m happy to say that it has! I think I’ve been a member for about a year now.
- Fill in the blank: “If you really knew me, you’d know ____.”
That Airplane! is my all-time favorite movie.
- The United Way Young Leaders Society is focused on connecting, serving, giving, and leading. With which do you identify the most? Why?
Serving, without a doubt. I feel incredibly strong about giving back to the community and doing as much as I possibly can to help others. Service, in addition to being good for the community, helps me maintain perspective and reminds me that every little bit of good we can do makes a difference.
- When are you the happiest?
Probably while watching Bob’s Burgers on Netflix with my son, but that’s a very difficult question to narrow down an answer for.
- Have you attended a conference/workshop/symposium/etc. that left a lasting impression? What about the experience has stayed with you?
A few years ago, I attended a conference for my job as a financial services professional. A man named Joe Jordan delivered the keynote address. He shared the story of how his father, who was a successful attorney, died in an accident when Joe was only a few months old. Weeks before, Joe’s father had cancelled his life insurance policy, which left the family in a terrible position. It inspired him to go into the financial industry and to do everything in his power to make sure that what happened to his family didn’t happen to anyone else. It opened my eyes to the importance of what I do and kept me going in this industry when times were rough.
- What is your favorite locally-owned Richmond establishment and why?
Strangeways Brewery because I like that they do things a little different. Plus, it’s one of the few places I can get sour beer, which I love!
- If you ruled the world, what would you change on Day 1?
I think I’d make sexual orientation and gender identity federal protected classes. The regression and backlash experienced recently by the LGBT community is terrible.