COVID 19 – News & Updates
United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg is monitoring the global spread of novel coronavirus, or COVID-19. This is top-of-mind for all of us, as the health and safety of our community is our top priority.
We are actively monitoring updates and information from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and state and local health departments and discussing the situation daily to determine what, if any adjustments, need to be made.
- Meetings at United Way. United Way regularly hosts external meetings at our offices. We are working to use virtual meeting technology and teleconference options to hold these meetings remotely instead. We will share any changes to meeting schedules and formats in the “Updates” section below. If you are planning to attend a meeting at United Way, please contact us at (804) 771-5820.
- Volunteer Events. United Way has several volunteer opportunities scheduled in the next six weeks. We will share any changes to our volunteer event schedule in the “Updates” section below. Meanwhile, we strongly encourage volunteers who are not feeling well to stay home. If you have questions about a United Way volunteer opportunity, contact Emily Watkins (firstname.lastname@example.org, (804) 771-5835).
- Find Help Now. The effort to reduce the spread of COVID-19 will have an impact on many people in our community. If you need immediate assistance, visit our Find Help Now page.
Steps to Success Awards
This event, previously scheduled for June 9, has been rescheduled for September 22.
Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Program
Based on the governor’s executive order, all Volunteer Income Tax Assistance sites are currently closed through June 10.
- NEW: We are partnering with Code for America to bring GetYourRefund to our region. This is a way for United Way’s IRS-certified volunteers to help you from the security and safety of your home. Our team of trained volunteers will prepare your return while communicating with you throughout the entire process. Learn more here.
- We also offer direct access to multiple free software programs that allow individuals and families to file their own taxes online. Go here to learn more about eligibility and requirements.
- We are working on a plan to open a set number of tax sites when it is safe to do so. The federal filing deadline has been extended to July 15. If you’d like to be contacted with post-season tax filing information please contact email@example.com.
- We have released guidance for site coordinators and volunteers for our Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program. For questions, contact Cara Cardotti (firstname.lastname@example.org, (804) 775-6433).
United Way Literacy Kit Delivery
This volunteer opportunity, previously scheduled for April 14, has been postponed. We will announce a new date as soon as possible.
Kindergarten Welcome Crew
This volunteer opportunity, previously scheduled for April 16, has been cancelled.
School Market Program Support
This volunteer opportunity, previously scheduled for April 22, has been cancelled.
Kindergarten Readiness Academy Support
This volunteer opportunity, previously scheduled for April 28, has been cancelled.
For more information about United Way volunteer opportunities, contact Emily Watkins (email@example.com, (804) 771-5835).