United Way serves as the central convener and unifying voice for nonprofit organizations across the region and connects their important work with local governments, schools, businesses and volunteers. We invite you to hear from leaders at these organizations and learn more about their work.
Families and individuals must have a safe home with healthy food for everyone who lives there in order to work toward a higher degree of prosperity.
- Children’s Home Society of Virginia Foster Care Adoption – Nadine Marsh-Carter
- Feed More’s Meals on Wheels – Amory James
- Housing Families First’s Rapid Re-Housing – Beth Vann-Turnbull
In order to be kindergarten-ready, young children need quality early education, strong relationships with families, a safe and secure home environment and regular health and developmental screenings and support.
Kids who are reading proficiently by third grade are four times more likely to graduate high school on time.
- How to Promote Literacy at Home – Tanya Elliott
- Preparing for a New School Year: Elementary School – Shelby Bartilotti
- Preparing to Educate – Joan Rhodes
Attendance and success in middle school are critical in keeping students on track for on-time graduation and preparing them to continue their education after high school or secure a self-sustaining job.
- Big Brothers Big Sisters, Inc. – Ann Rohde Payes
- Communities in Schools of Chesterfield – Jay Swedenborg
A high school diploma is a critical milestone on the path to a post-secondary degree and/or a self-sustaining career.
As they continue their education or enter the workforce, young people need access to skills and training that enable them to secure and maintain gainful employment with a living wage.
Older adults and persons with disabilities must be emotionally and physically healthy, financially secure and socially connected.
- Circle Center Adult Day Services – Amy Bodman
- Jewish Family Services – Wendy Kreuter
- project:HOMES – Lee Householder
- Longevity Project – A History of Leadership
- A Recipe for a Connected Community – Longevity Project Team
United Way has partners many other partners that make our work possible. Learn more about these partners.