United Way Announces Grants to Support Tax Assistance Program
Nearly $100,000 in funds will enable United Way to provide free tax preparation to individuals across the Greater Richmond and Petersburg region.
United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg has received nearly $100,000 in grant funding to support its MetroCASH program, as well as other efforts to promote tax help services in the area.
MetroCASH is an IRS-sponsored local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) program that promotes financial well-being, one of United Way’s nine Steps to Success. By hosting tax preparation sites throughout the Greater Richmond and Petersburg region, MetroCASH provides free tax assistance for low- to moderate-income families and individuals.
The five newly-announced grants will enable MetroCASH to expand its reach and host tax events in more places than ever before.
- IRS Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) Grant – $60,375
- Used to support overall operations of United Way’s MetroCASH program. This grant allows IRS partner organizations to increase services to the underserved, increase the number of returns filed electronically, enhance volunteer training and significantly improve the accuracy of returns prepared at volunteer sites.
- Capital One – $15,000
- This grant will be used to fund a part-time volunteer coordinator for MetroCASH. The Volunteer Coordinator will be responsible for organizing and deploying more than 200 MetroCASH volunteers across the region during the 2018 tax season.
- Virginia Community Action Partnership EITC Initiative Grant Program – $14,000
- This grant will support MetroCASH’s efforts to provide education, outreach and free income tax preparation services to citizens who may be eligible for the Earned Income Tax Credit, as well as MetroCASH’s expansion into rural localities in the United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg service area. In the upcoming tax season, MetroCASH will host tax preparation sites and events in Goochland, Dinwiddie, New Kent and Powhatan.
- United Way Worldwide – $6,000
- This grant will support local marketing and promotion of MyFreeTaxes, an easy, secure and free way to file state and federal taxes online for individuals and families earning $66,000 or less in 2017.
- Prosperity Now – $500
- This grant will give United Way access to Prosperity Now’s Tax-Time Savings Volunteer Toolkit, which provides valuable resources for volunteers to use to support tax savings in the Greater Richmond and Petersburg region.
learn more about metrocash
learn more about financial well-being
About United Way of Greater Richmond and Petersburg
United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg empowers individuals and addresses systemic problems to provide everyone with a clear path to success. We do this by conducting research, funding programs and organizations, driving systems-level change and engaging with individuals in 11 localities across the region. Learn more at YourUnitedWay.org.