Families and individuals must have a safe home with healthy food for everyone who lives there in order to work toward a higher degree of prosperity.
Food on the table. A safe and secure place to call “home.” These are basic needs for everyone in the Richmond and Petersburg region. Unfortunately, many of our friends and neighbors are unable to provide these essentials for themselves or their families. Many more residents live at risk, living month to month in situations where a sudden job loss or health crisis could be devastating.
Covering these basic needs is the first step on the path to success. We are committed to helping everyone get there.
News & Updates
Hear from local leaders about their work that supports the Basic Needs Met Step.
What We Do
United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg funds programs that address the core challenges preventing people from meeting their basic needs: poverty, homelessness, crime and access to food. We mobilize individuals and organizations to tackle these problems head-on, both at the individual and systemic levels.
- Access to health care coverage is one of the top concerns for people in our region. United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg partners with FamilyWize to offer a free prescription assistance discount card to help everyone in our community.
- United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg formed the Southside Trauma-Informed Community Network (STICN) in August 2016, after numerous community leaders and organizations expressed interest in coming together to better understand trauma-informed care and incorporate its best practices into their work.
- The Youth Housing Stability Coalition brings together more than 30 nonprofits and youth to address the issues of homelessness and housing instability among youth ages 14-24.
How You Can Help
- Donate. Give to United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg. Let us know you want your gift to help families and individuals cover these basic needs.
- Volunteer. Want to lend your time to supporting these efforts? Send us an email and we will help match you with the right opportunity. Or visit our Events page to see our existing opportunities.