In addition to covering basic expenses, families and individuals need financial stability to avoid debt, build savings and prepare for unanticipated expenses.
When people are able to find decent jobs, provide for their families and absorb the financial bumps in the road we all face, they and their children are more likely to enjoy healthy lives and succeed in school. Everyone benefits, because financially stable individuals and families lead to a more competitive workforce and a stronger community.
However, financial stability can be thrown off by sudden job loss, health crisis or other unanticipated expense. That’s why it’s important for everyone to continue making smart financial decisions – things like building savings and managing credit responsibly – throughout their lives.
News & Updates
- It’s Free Tax Time: United Way Begins Annual Tax Preparation Service.
- Coming Soon: United Way’s Free Tax Service.
- Read our holiday spotlight on Financial Well-being.
- Read our spotlight on Financial Well-being.
- Announcing the THRIVE Grant Competition.
Hear from local leaders about their work that supports the Financial Well-being Step.
What We Do
At United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg, we outline key steps on the journey to financial well-being and provide needed supports along the way.
- Financial Crisis. We help households address immediate needs in times of crisis by providing short term assistance on essential items like food, rent, utilities and prescriptions.
- Financial Capability. We provide education that enables individuals and families to make informed financial choices and manage their money and credit wisely.
- Financial Resilience. We ensure households are knowledgeable and equipped to handle life transitions and financial stress by building savings, managing credit responsibly and developing healthy relationships with financial institutions.
Spotlight on Success
- Our United Way Tax Assistance Programs provide free income tax preparation for households with income of $55,000 or less. Since 2002, we have worked with local social service, nonprofit, faith-based, business and government organizations to strengthen the financial independence of working families in our region. Click here to learn more about these programs.
- We lead the THRIVE Collaborative, a new Richmond-area partnership that supports efforts to increase incomes, build savings and assets, and develop financial literacy among local households – and thereby help them achieve financial stability.
How You Can Help
- Donate. Give to United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg. Let us know you want your gift to help increase the financial well-being of everyone in the region.
- Volunteer. Want to lend your time to supporting these efforts? Send us an email and we will help match you with the right opportunity. Or visit our Events page to see our existing opportunities.