High School Graduation
A high school diploma is a critical milestone on the path to a post-secondary degree and/or a self-sustaining career.
Whether you are headed to college, pursuing a credential or beginning your career, a high school diploma is essential. High school graduates have a higher earning potential, contribute more to our local economy and are more engaged in the community.
Unfortunately, too many of our residents – particularly those in low-income areas – are not graduating high school on time – if at all. One out of every 10 high school students in the Richmond and Petersburg region did not graduate on time. We can do better. We must do better.
News & Updates
Read about our latest work in High School Graduation:
- Back-to-School: High School
- Steps to a Successful School Year: High School
- Preparing for a New School Year: High School
- Helping Your School, Helping Your Community
- Steps to Success Spotlight: High School Graduation
- United Way works to reduce chronic absenteeism
- Petersburg Teen Pregnancy Prevention Program
- Agency Q&A: Communities In Schools of Richmond
What We Do
United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg funds programs that provide critical support to students as they approach graduation. We also work with school districts and community organizations to ensure we are doing everything possible to keep students in school and on track to graduate.
- We serve as the backbone of the Petersburg City and Schools Partnership, which works to create the climate and conditions for every student to succeed by providing a sustainable, coordinated system of supports and access.
Spotlight on Success
We work directly with the Petersburg Department of Health to implement a program to address teen pregnancy in the city. By working with students in schools as well as families, we successfully have reduced teen pregnancies in Petersburg by 54 percent since 2009. Click here to learn more.
How You Can Help
- Donate. Give to United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg. Let us know you want your gift to help increase on-time high school graduation.
- Volunteer. Want to lend your time to supporting these efforts? Send us an email and we will help match you with the right opportunity. Or visit our Events page to see our existing opportunities.