211 is a free, confidential referral and information helpline and website that connects people of all ages and from all communities to essential health and human services, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
A trained professional speaks to callers, learns about their situation and suggests sources of help — all using one of the largest databases of health and human services in Virginia.
Through 211 Virginia, United Way connects people with many different services, including:
- Basic human needs: Food banks, shelters, rent or utility assistance
- Physical and mental health resources: Medicaid, Medicare, prenatal care, children’s health insurance programs, crisis intervention, support groups, counseling, alcohol and drug rehabilitation
- Work initiatives: Educational and vocational training programs, English as a second language classes, job training, GED preparation, financial and transportation assistance
- Support for seniors and those with disabilities: Area Agencies on Aging, independent living centers, adult day care, meals at home, respite care, home health care, transportation and recreation
- Support for children, youth and families: After-school programs, tutoring, mentorship programs, family resource centers, protective services, counseling, child care centers and recreation
- Volunteering in your community: Volunteer centers, mentorship opportunities, locations to donate food, clothing, furniture, computers or other items
During times of disaster, 211 VIRGINIA will work with local and state emergency management and disaster response officials to provide:
- Accurate and up-to-date information for citizens of the Commonwealth
- Volunteer and donation coordination
- Crisis intervention and human services coordination
- Access to disaster support services during the entire recovery process
How do I access 211?
There are several ways to access 211:
- Option 1 – Dial the number “211”
- If you are using a telecommunication device for the deaf dial “711” and ask for 211.
- Out of state? Use the toll free number 1-800-230-6977 to ensure you reach 211 Virginia.
- Option 2 – Search the 211 database for information
- Option 3 – Text CONNECT to 247211 (terms and conditions)
- Option 4 – Click here to chat online