United Way Literacy Kits
United Way is committed to helping young children in our region meet these crucial Steps to Success. Our year-round literacy kit efforts ensure students have access to materials they need to begin their educational journey on a positive, successful note.
Throughout the year, United Way of Greater Richmond & Petersburg collects and assembles more than 1,000 literacy kits that are distributed to students in our region. Each kit includes schools supplies, an age-appropriate book, information for parents and supplies for children to be prepared for kindergarten and reading at grade-level by third grade.
Here’s how you can help:
- Host a literacy kit drive. Bring together friends, neighbors or colleagues and host a literacy kit drive to maximize your efforts. Click here for ideas and tools to help get you started.
- Become a Literacy Kit Leader. Any group donating 100 completed kits or $1,000 worth of supplies will be recognized as a Literacy Kit Leader. Click here to get more information.
- Donate supplies. You can easily donate supplies to help this effort. Check out the Amazon Wishlist and the list of books to donate to see what supplies are needed.
- Volunteer. United Way’s literacy kit work is a year-round effort. We are always recruiting volunteers to help with upcoming phases. Keep an eye on this page for announcements or email email@example.com to sign-up.
- Spring – Literacy Kit Assembly. United Way welcomes large groups of volunteers to our office to help take donated supplies and assemble more than 1,000 literacy kits for students.
- April – Literacy Kit Delivery. Volunteers load up their vehicles with assembled literacy kits and fan out to deliver kits to schools across the region.
- April 11 – Kindergarten Registration Day. Students at select schools across the region receive literacy kits at Kindergarten Registration day.
- Summer – Literacy Kit Kickoff. United Way volunteers spend a weekend at Walmart stores throughout our region collecting supplies for our literacy kits.
- Fall – Literacy Kit Drives. United Way volunteers are collecting school supplies for their own drives that will be assembled into literacy kits.