Host a Literacy Kit Drive
Early learning resources are critical to ensuring kids are ready for kindergarten and reading at grade-level by third grade.
United Way volunteers from around the region who host Literacy Kit Drives are instrumental in ensuring thousands of young learners receive kits each year. We invite you to support this initiative by tapping into your personal and/or professional networks for donations. Use the resources below to ensure your drive is a success.
- Set a goal and make a plan. You set your own drop-off details and deadline. A goal of how many Literacy Kits you’d like to raise and assemble will help rally your supporters.
- Communicate with United Way. Let us know about your drive by emailing email@example.com. This will help us ensure we reach our committed number of kits.
- Promote your drive. Use our social media posts, customizable flyer and email template to spread the word about your drive. Customize these to your audience and be specific about why you are collecting these materials.
- Stay organized. Use online tools like our Amazon Wish List or SignUpGenius to keep your drive organized.
- Find a partner. Consider partnering with Barnes & Noble on a book fair in support of United Way. It’s an easy way to direct your supporters online and in-person to preferred books and a percentage of the sales will go to United Way.
- Spread the word. Start with your own professional or personal networks. Empower other advocates to share information about the drive and the importance of school readiness and literacy with others.
- Deliver supplies. After your drive is complete, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to drop off your donation. Donations are due to United Way by March 1, 2022.
Want to do more? Learn about how you can become a Literacy Kit Leader.