Gather friends, family, colleagues and
neighbors to support early literacy.
United Way volunteers from around the region who host Literacy Kit Drives are instrumental in ensuring thousands of young learners receive kits each year. We invite you to support this initiative by tapping into your personal and/or professional networks for donations. Use the resources below to ensure your drive is a success.
How to Host a Literacy Kit Drive
- Set a goal and make a plan. You set your own drop-off details and deadline. A goal of how many Literacy Kits you’d like to raise and assemble will help rally your supporters.
- Communicate with United Way. Let us know about your drive by emailing email@example.com. This will help us ensure we reach our committed number of kits.
- Promote your drive. Use our social media posts, customizable flyer and email template linked in the Resources section below to spread the word about your drive. Customize these to your audience and be specific about why you are collecting these materials.
- Stay organized. Use online tools like our Amazon Wish List or SignUpGenius to keep your drive organized.
- Find a partner. Consider partnering with Barnes & Noble on a book fair in support of United Way. It’s an easy way to direct your supporters online and in-person to preferred books and a percentage of the sales will go to United Way.
- Spread the word. Start with your own professional or personal networks. Empower other advocates to share information about the drive and the importance of school readiness and literacy with others.
- Deliver supplies. After your drive is complete, contact firstname.lastname@example.org to set up a time to drop off your donation. Donations are due to United Way by: September 30, 2022 – Fall Donation Deadline, March 24, 2023 – Spring Donation Deadline and June 16, 2023 – Kindergarten Countdown Camp Donation Deadline
Need a little more support?
Contact us for more support on hosting your Literacy Kit drive.