Most of us take transportation for granted. The ability to get from Point A to Point B, while critical, is usually an afterthought. For many people in our community, however, transportation is a major challenge. If you cannot drive yourself and are unable to secure a ride, transportation can be an insurmountable barrier between you and your job, your doctor, your school and more.
Our local United Way wants to help people get where they’re going, which is why we launched Ride United. Ride United is a United Way program that provides on-demand Lyft rides for people with no other transportation options.
How it Works
Ride United offers round-trip, on-demand rides to connect people to education, employment, health care and other critical services. Riders fill out a request form and if eligible, are contacted via text message with next steps.
- Are unable to pay for any other transportation options
- Have no other transportation option available through friends, family or community organizations
- Begin their ride in Richmond, Petersburg, Colonial Heights, Charles City, Chesterfield, Dinwiddie, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, New Kent or Powhatan.
- Live in Charles City, Chesterfield, Colonial Heights, Dinwiddie, Goochland, Hanover, Henrico, New Kent, Powhatan, Petersburg or Richmond.
All riders must:
- Be 18 years or older
- Have a smartphone with an active Lyft Account and a current payment method on file with Lyft
- Wear a face covering during the ride
- COVID-19 vaccine appointments
- Flu vaccine appointments
- Non-emergency medical appointments
- Pharmacy/prescription pick up
- Non-emergency hospital visit
*Ride United may NOT be used for COVID-19 testing.
- Job interview, job training, job fair
- Pre-job requirement (drug test, finger printing, other required documentation)
- Work (one-time)
Public Benefits Trips
- Department of Social and Health Services
- Social Security Administration
- Rental Assistance Appointment
- Utility Assistance Appointment
- WIC Appointment
- Tax Preparation Services
- Financial Coaching
- Medicaid/CHIP Benefits Access
- Housing Benefits Access
School Success and Readiness
- School physicals
- Required school vaccination appointments
- Kindergarten Registration
- Classroom meetings with teachers
Ride United & COVID-19
Ride United launched in May 2021 to help people get to vaccine sites in the Richmond area. This was made possible in part by a $10,000 donation from the personal injury law firm of Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen.
While Ride United has expanded since launch, the program is still a critical support in our region’s effort to increase vaccination rates and stop the spread of COVID-19.
News & Updates
October 2021: Ride United Expands to Serve Fredericksburg and Support a Wider Range of Needs
We’re partnering with Rappahannock United Way and the personal injury law firm of Allen, Allen, Allen & Allen to expand access to Ride United and serve people in the Fredericksburg area. The program is also expanding to serve a greater range of needs beyond COVID-19 vaccination. Click here to learn more.
Vice President of Community Impact